Monday, March 5, 2007

1. Why I came to U of C to do Leap Course

More than eight months ago, in Venezuela, my home country, when I first went into the internet looking for English-speaking programs, one of the premises that I considered while doing the research was the fact that I wanted to study in a program held by the university where I was interested in pursuing my graduate studies. Consequently, I wanted to feel the culture and living experiences of the school of my choice, and I also wanted to remain involved some how with the Energy industry, and as you may know, Calgary is a city driven by an energetic one. I choose University of Calgary because it has developed graduate programs helping those who wish to continue their career within the boundaries of the field aforementioned, acquire a great deal of knowledge related to it. Thus, I thought that by experiencing U of C, I would have had a better perception of this school, the people, and the city as a whole. That perception has not changed not even a little, and today, I am more convinced that this is the place where I would like to study my degree.
In my opinion, The Leap program in conjunction with the experience of being in Calgary are the best tools for international students chasing academic studies. U of C offers two main English-speaking programs for international students. I have had the opportunity to study both of them since I arrived last September. The first one, ESL (English as a Second Language), is an excellent experience of getting to know the Canadian culture while practicing your fluency. Leap, on the other hand, is an experience that prepares you for future studies whether they are undergraduate or graduate studies. I believe the Leap represents the next step in the process of learning English, focusing it in an academic way and training prospective U of C students for better future academic performances.
Having a romantic language as my mother tongue, it is important to say that more than just the speaking differences between Spanish and English, there are plenty grammatical rules that make academic communication in both languages very dissimilar. The Leap program deals with this fact, and with the quality of its teachers, staff and based on a demanding course, helps students improve their communication skills in a way people can use English accurately and effectively. Unfortunately, I have not reached that goal yet, but I am sure this program will set the basis for a good path.

1 comment:

Steven said...

Finally, I could read your second blog. I really waited for a long time. You are so smart that you chose U of C. In addition, you are so lucky that your mother language is Spain. As you know, Chinese feel more difficult to study English. After all, the terrible mid-term test is over, so your can have a good sleep now.