Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A convenient truth!

Today, I am going to blog about one topic that caught my attention last night while I was watching the news on the BBC channel. It is a story that made me think about how unfair or undemocratic a so called great democracy could be. But before doing so, I apologize if I hurt anyone’s feelings because what I am going to mention in the lines beneath could be seen as an attack on a particular country. On the contrary, it is not my intention; it is only my reflection of the program I have seen.
Yesterday night, a documentary on a new Arabic TV show was presented. As the majority of the news channels, they broadcast daily news. This specific channel covers information from the hectic Middle East region. However, unlike its western counterparts, it offers the things from another point of view. A point of view that perhaps does not match the ways things are shown by the programs we, western people, traditionally watch. Still, what makes this channel unique is that it presents a different perspective in a language now being understood by more and more people all over the world, English. According to the documentary, the main goal of this program is to show a distinct opinion to the world, or at least to those who can deal with the language spoken.
What raised concerns in me was the fact that according to the program, a certain democratic government is encouraging the private companies within its boundaries to avoid transmitting the aforementioned channel signal. Apparently, they are doing so by manipulating the situation telling the TV companies that it is a patriotic behavior. And I wonder what could be the consequences for the TV chains if they do not pay attention to the advice of the government. Does not that attend to the concept of democracy? Where everyone is supposed to have the right to choose and structure its own opinion about a specific topic even knowing that journalists could also manipulate a fact. In my opinion that is one of the advantages of democracy, and it should be respected by everyone.

1 comment:

Scott Douglas said...

I totally agree with you. This definately seems like a situation where freedom of speech is being stifled. Even if I disagree with someone or something, I still support that person's or that organization's right to say what they feel they have to say.